Weekly Thought Starter #42: Finding a partner. Action goals versus result goals – which is better?
Weekly Thought Starter #42:
October 16th, 2017
Sunday Night Quote:
‘Do not save your loving speeches for you friends till they are dead; do not write them on their tombstones, speak them rather now instead’ -Anna Cummins
In today’s issue:
- The basics of finding a partner
- Systems beat goals – every time
- Action goals versus result goals – which is better?
- Enthusiasm, Focus, Accountability, keeping on learning … and having a SYSTEM
- Using a system creates clarity
WEEKLY THOUGHT STARTERS
I was reading a Phil Humbert email a few weeks ago in which he points out that ‘systems beat goals, every time.’
This reminds me of course of our course … in that we teach that Action Goals are much better than Result goals.
Action goals – following a routine … use daily continuous action to get us to our target … Destination or result goals are somewhere off in the future … and do not really drive us. In fact a result goal may make us feel uncomfortable because we cannot control the outcome until much later.
Action goals are under our control, they make us feel good (I did today what I said I would do) and motivate us in an ongoing basis.
We also teach in our course … 5 words …
Enthusiasm, Focus, Accountability, keeping on learning … and having a SYSTEM. It is a system that liberates us … A good system will keep us on track.
Humbert: ‘ … the fact is that too many people are trying to create beauty while surrounded by chaos. They are trying to achieve wonderful goals, but their energy and focus are on running errands or ‘swatting mosquitoes.‘ It’s very hard to achieve great things when you’re swimming up-stream all the time!’
To create the life you truly want, you need systems that automatically carry you down-stream toward your ultimate goals.
Design your office, your home, your schedule and your relationships so they ‘conspire’ to help you get there!
Talk with loved ones so they actively support you!
Eliminate clutter and replace it with equipment, furnishings and tools that make you smile, that energize you and keep you focused.
Design a schedule that includes time for your most important daily priorities. Systems are the key to extraordinary success!’
Agreed! Following that plan … is a system. Having action goals … become that ‘unconscious competence’ where we will do the right things … almost without thinking.
The universe wants CLARITY from us … Using a system creates that clarity…
FINDING PERSONAL PROFESSIONAL PARTNERS THE EASY WAY:
When you are competing to win a partner for your real estate joint venture …
… there are five benchmarks you must meet to increase your success.
1. Know why you are different and express this in terms your potential partner (s) can understand. Nothing does this better than statistics! Your deal is in THIS or THAT great market. Here is why … The volume of business, the vacancy rates, the price as compared to what else is for sale. The deal that you re offering – precisely: How much is the PPPs cash? How much is his /her return? What works will YOU do, he/she do? How long is the JV going to last? What is the exit strategy?
2. Prove the VALUE of your service and your groundwork. Have a 7 step (or so) marketing plan. How can we market it fast? Where do the buyers come from (if we need them)? Where is the return? How can we crush the competition? Can you list 20-50 things YOU can do better?
3. Educate your potential JV partners. Let them peak behind the scenes of the joint venture idea … the real estate transaction. Show them a ‘critical path’ or checklists you use to manage the JV from start to finish.
4. Remove as much risk as you can. Make it easy for the PPP to say yes by providing a preponderance of proof of your success. I.e. letters from people that like you have done business with you in the past. Offer creative guarantees.
5. Present yourself as a serious professional. Don’t enter long discussions as to various options before you meet. Deliver a concise package that meets each of the other four benchmarks on this list. A package or handout they can take away.
Start with people that know you first … then go to your Personal Professional Pillars next … then go to other Reaggies. Give your prospective partner a time limit to decide. Do all that with aforethought and you will be on your way to increasing your success of getting a JV partner the easy way.
Live Life Large!
Ozzie and Ralph
1) PLEASE NOTE: Your next exciting meeting is Monday, November 13th at 6:30 PM (sharp!). The meeting will be at: The Vancouver Alpen Club, 4875 Victoria Drive, Vancouver. If you are bringing a guest, please e-mail email@example.com.
2) NEXT ACTION PLAN/GOAL SETTING MEETINGS:
Next Action Plan Meeting is Monday, November 13th at 5:30 (Alpen House before the monthly meeting).Action plan meetings are the foundation of your REAG membership. At these informal meetings, there are no wrong answers. Groups of approximately 10 members share their goals and develop specific 3- day “action plans” to bring them to reality. Earl Nightingale said, “Success is the progressive realization of a worthwhile goal”. At the action plan meetings, we celebrate small successes and acknowledge everyone’s progress. The idea is to keep focused on a monthly basis and get into action. It’s all part of the process of “growing into your future best”. Sign up today!
For Action Plan meetings registration go to: https://www.reag.ca/events/categories/action-plan-meeting/
Action Plan meeting participants are seeing great success! Try attending the next one!
3) make sure to explore all the new and exciting features at www.reag.ca
Take a look at your own private member section. Create your own team, post your deals with photos, and respond to other deals directly with the posting member. Use it! We developed it with YOU in mind. Feedback is welcome and appreciated.
4) Don’t forget to use the DEALS section
You will find it on our website at https://www.reag.ca/forum/hot-deals/ as a place to post for your deals. If you haven’t used it, TRY IT! It is so simple to submit. You are able to include photos of the property as well as all the details directly to other REAG members.
5) SUBMIT YOUR GOOD DEALS TO OZZIE AND RALPH
Ozzie is always looking for great deals to be featured in his Hot Properties section of the Facts by E-mail, as well as potentially on Michael Campbell’s CKNW Radio Show and its free. You get exposure to thousands of investors! Send your deals to Ozzie no later than Friday at noon for inclusion in the following week.
6) SOCIAL MEDIA
If you are on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn, make sure to check out our REAG page and “like it” for updates on members, activities, and Real Estate updates!
Ozzie and Ralph are also on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram! Make sure you send them a friend request!
7) Elevator speeches
If you have an accompanying PowerPoint presentation, you must send it to us at least 24 hours before the monthly meetings! Try cutting down to 3 slides! We cannot guarantee PowerPoint presentations will be available if they are sent to us less than 24 hours in advance.
8) Submit your offers!
Don’t forget to submit your offers at each meeting to be entered into our Wine Bottle or REAG Shirt draw! They must be real offers, not chicken scratches on a piece of paper. They do not have to have been accepted offers, the idea is to MAKE OFFERS. Show and tell and win!